ME/CFS AWARENESS DAY 2021
WEDNESDAY MAY 12TH
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex and disabling disease that affects many parts of the body, including the brain and muscles, as well as the digestive, immune and cardiac systems, among others. ME is classified as a neurological disorder by the World Health Organization.
ME/CFS can affect anyone, at any age. Around 25% of people with ME/CFS experience symptoms so severe that they are housebound.
Estimates are that up to 250,000 Australians have this condition.
Have you ever heard of it? Do you know someone how has it (like me)?
To get an idea of what it is like living with ME/CFS:
- imagine waking up every day feeling like you have the flu.
- imagine that even doing a small amount of activity can cause you to crash for days
- imagine waking up feeling like you have never slept, even if you have
- imagine brain fog so bad you can’t read, watch TV or use a computer
- imagine feeling light-headed or dizzy, all the time
- imagine being sensitive to noice, light, heat and cold
- imagine migraine level headaches…. every day
- imagine widespread pain in your muscles or joints
- imagine having doctors tell you that what you are feeling isn’t real and it’s all in your head
Coinciding with Florence Nightingale’s birthday, May 12th is ME/CFS Awareness Day annually.
ME/CFS Awareness Day is a great time to learn more.
Zombie Awareness Month:
On a lighter note, May is also Zombie Awareness Month. Love a good Zombie story? We have some reading suggestions for books available in the school library for you in this newsletter.
50 Years of eBooks:
Can you believe that eBooks have been around for 50 years? On June 4, 1971, the first ebook in the world, the US Declaration of Independence, was created by Michael S. Hart and shared among other users of the computer network at the University of Illinois.
Read more in this week’s newsletter.
Don’t forget to follow the library on Instagram (@fhclibrary) for regular updates on reading suggestions, book reviews, photos from around the library and more!
Have a great week everyone.