GOALS OF THE READING CHALLENGE
- Increase student recreational reading – Studies show that the number of words that students read correlates with academic success.
- Enhance the Connect time experience by running a team-based challenge to foster a sense of community amongst the group.
- Help build a school-wide culture of reading as teams are encouraged to get bonus points by co-opting other staff and students to read for their team.
WHAT CAN I READ
For The Million Word Challenge any recreational reading counts. This can be
- graphic novels,
- online content – such as blogs
- anything you read for pleasure.
- Each Connect class from Year 7 & 8 will form a team, with the aim of reading the most words during Term 2
- Each Connect class needs to choose a Team Name and submit this name to the library via email
- Items read need to be finished before being submitted. If a student decided to not finish a book, submit the name of the book and how many pages read
- Students doing the Premier’s Reading Challenge (PRC) can count these books towards this challenge as well
- Bonus points will be awarded for Teams where every student submits at least one item they have read for recreation
- The Connect teacher can contribute one book to the Team total
- Bonus points will be allocated to Teams who can co-opt other staff members, students from Years 9 – 12 and even their parents to read for them
- Bonus points will be allocated for submitting a Book Review to the library catalog that has been approved by Library staff
BOOKS, EBOOKS & AUDIOBOOKS
LIbrary staff will use tools at their disposal to work out the word count for the named book. If a student decides to not finish a book, word count will be allocated based on the number of pages read.
COMICS, GRAPHIC NOVELS & MANGA
Comics, graphic novels & manga titles will be allocated 10,000 words.
MAGAZINES & NEWSPAPERS
Magazines & Newspapers will be allocated 8,000 words
Online content wil be allocated 5,000 words.
The Team in each year level who reads the most words over Term 2 will win a morning tea in the library
The student who reads the most words in each Team will win a new book
100,000 BONUS POINTS + WORD COUNT FOR THE BOOK THEY READ
Get a member of the Principal Team
- Mr Rogers
- Ms Buckingham
- Mr Grant
To read a book for your team.
20,000 BONUS POINTS + WORD COUNT FOR THE BOOK THEY READ
- Get any other staff member, parent or student from Years 9 -12 to read a book for your Team.
- Everyone in the Team submits something they have read for recreationall reading.
10,000 BONUS POINTS
- Write a book review for the Library Catalog that is Approved by the Library Team.
- The Team’s Connect teacher reads a book for the Team plus word count for the book they read
- Submit a photo of yourself or your team reading that can be shared on the library’s Instagram page (@fhclibrary)